Monday, May 18, 2009

curtains of the mishkan

The Yeriot(curtains) of the Mishkan(Tabernacle), have always teased me as a seeming source of great information regarding the 'veils' of this world. (The Mishkan symbolising the world and the curtains being the outer-most coverings of this world). If I understand/recall correctly:

The inner curtain was made of 10 pieces of fabric, joined 5 and 5 and then connected via 10 hooks and 10 loops on each of a pair of 5. So, one side had : 5 pieces of fabric, 50 loops, and the other had 5 pieces of fabric, 50 hooks.

The next curtain was made of 11* pieces of fabric joined 5 and 5 with one extra flap wrapping around (either the front or back I don't recall). Like thhe first curtain this also had 50 hooks and loops, I believe.

The last curtain was made of a single piece of fabric, made of the skins of a now-extinct animal. This animal, called Tachash, has a shimmering multi-colored skin (some commentaries say like a seal), other commentaries claim it was a unicorn, I believe they also say it was water-dwelling. 

So, before me I see the deepest mystery that has ever peered up at me out of the letters and words of Torah. I would love any insight, or any information scientific or kabbalistic which seemed to deal with numbers/quantities similar to those presented here !! :)

Wed Apr 19, 2000 1:45 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment